Friday, March 15, 2013

Beware the Ides of March...

Welp, chalk another extraordinary weekend up in the books! Last weekend was yet another wonderful time filled with college basketball, lots of visitors, mountain fun, and pre-St. Patrick's Day shenanigans.

On Thursday, Steve and Lara invited Rob and I to the CU vs. Oregon  game in Boulder.  I have not been to a college basketball game since my senior year so I was super pumped!  I always seem to forget how much fun it is to be around the genre of college kids- such an entertaining population and so full of life.  Especially, at sporting events!  It also just so happens to be a little bit depressing since they make me realize I graduated 7 years ago!  Ughh! Oh well...such is life!  Prior to the game, we headed to Harpo's, a divey little college bar, for some $1.50 tacos and a pitcher of beer.  A super fun little evening with two of our favorite Denverites and a special guest appearence from John Elway!




Two of my best high school buds from Ohio, Tiff and Michael, were hanging out in the mountains all weekend so I had an excuse to venture up to the high country twice! We skied at Breck all day on Friday, which included my first time up the T-bar!  For those of you who are not familiar with the T-bar, it's basically a bar in the shape of a T (go figure) that you hold onto as it pulls you up the mountain (rather than a lift), taking you to one of the highest points.  For those of you were familiar with my skiing ability last year, you understand that this is a HUGE accomplishment for me since I was pretty much beside myself with terror skiing down the blues last year! Here is a picture from the top:



I don't know what it is with snowboarders and the T-bar, but they really struggle with this thing! I know because not only did we watch two different snowboarders tumble and get dragged up the mountain like they were in a 007 movie, but when I was curiously searching for a You Tube video to illustrate the T-bar, this is what I found.  Trust me, it is way more hilarious in real life.

Last weekend, Kate had a random visit from a friend from Utah who we traveled together with in Thailand and Bali this past October.  Something about meeting someone in a far away land and then looking at them again in real life in your own country creates some crazy cognitive dissonance.  It took me a good while to come to terms with the fact that she was actually here!  In Denver!  Still, it was so good to see her and reminisce on our good times abroad.  Here is a picture of all of us from a reggae festival on a beach in Bali:

Kate, Sarah, me


Saturday, was a blustery,  wet and snowy day so a few of us decided to get brunch at The Universal.   The hipstery feel does not quite fit with the neighborhood or the location (in a strip mall right next to Domino's and a shady-looking pho restaurant, which is across the street from a Quinceanera dress shop and El Guapo Tuxedo).  Nevertheless, it is a true hidden gem and one of the best brunch places in my hood!

Following brunch, we decided to head downtown to Blake Street Tavern to meet up with several Miami of Ohio alumni to celebrate their annual Green Beer Day, which reportedly (according to a few alums), did not do the actual day in Oxford, Ohio a whole lot of justice.  I still had a blast though!

Sarah, Michelle, Nikki, Lindsay, me, Kate, Leah
 

Despite the dreadful daylight savings ordeal on Sunday, Rob and I woke up super early to meet up with Tiff and Michael at Vail for another day of skiing.

Ocean waves in the clouds on our drive up.


 Vail is probably one of my most favorite mountains mainly because the size never ceases to amaze me and also there is truely nothing like a bluebird powder day here! I am always blown away by the beauty of the mountains, but for some reason this place takes my breath away more than anywhere else.  This day was not quite a bluebird, but it was definitely a powder day (lots of fresh, light, fluffy snow) which always denotes an excelllent day on the slopes!



It's like that snow world in Mario Kart, only on skis

Robdawg!
Shreddin' the gnar, bro.


 Epic Mix Weekend Photo Sesh:

me, Michael, Kes, Tiff, Dave

Cross the O-H-I-O pose while standing on top of a mountain off the ol' bucket list!
And then there were two other random Buckeyes who wanted in on the action!



Tiffers!!

:)
Miss this once-Denverite in my life!


"Do you guys want your picture taken by the wind mill?" Ummm....sure!!!


trudging through the freshies



Rob, Michael, me



 


Yay Vail!!


Next up... my friend Leah's birthday celebration and St. Patty's Day antics! Fingers crossed for no broken body parts this year! Until next time, my friends!




1 comment:

  1. Another great post, m'lady! And I made the blog in that fun picture from Green Beer Day! WOO HOO! On to more fun times...

    ReplyDelete